The Gazi Mehmed Pasha Hamam (Turkish Bath) is located near the city centre, near the Kukli-Mehmet Bey Mosque, and the Emin Pasha Mosque.
It was built during the period 1563-1574, by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, Sanjak-bey of Shkodra during the period 1573-1574.
On the main gate, there is an inscription plate (1833) which shows the restoration date taken by Tahir and Mehmed Pashe Rrotulli.
The Turkish Bath is part of the architectonic ensemble established by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, including the Bayrakli Mosque, the Secondary School (Medresse), the primary school (meytep), the library and the mausoleum (turbe).
The bath is of the “çifte hamam” type, which means that it was used by both genders at the same time. It is built in different stones.
The male part of the Bath is larger than the female one.
The Hamam includes all areas required for such baths, including an entry area (reception and bar), wardrobe, central part of bath, the sweating area, the entertainment area, and the heating area, in the south part of the building.
The Bath is constructed in various stones, combined with brick.
The width of the walls is around 90 cm, plastered on the inside. The roofing of the facility is made of two cupola built upon tumblers (on the cold area – reception), and nine smaller cupola over the hot part of the Bath.
The wardrobe and the heating area are covered in lintelts.
The roofing envelope includes roof tiles over the cold area, and lead sheeting over other areas.
Until 1964, the Bath was surrounded by commercial premises, which were demolished at that time, before restoration and conservation works took place. Even in the 70s, there were several renovation works taken, but the facility was left to the mercy of time since then.
Since 2000, the cold part of the Hamam is used as a gallery for organizing various cultural, artistic and education activities.
The Hamam is one of the most characteristic public facilities of the Ottoman Era in Prizren, bearing extraordinary historical, architectonic, social and environmental importance.